Saturday, May 30, 2009

Photo Challenge--Numbers

This week's challenge had us looking for the numbers 1 through 7. I must admit that I almost didn't do this challenge because of business/laziness/lack of inspiration. But finally, yesterday (Friday) I decided to go for a walk and bring my camera along just in case I found my inspiration. Well, it took awhile, but just as I had given up hope, I spotted three benches perched on top of a hill and thought that was a pretty obvious group. Then I started seeing EVERYTHING in groups! By the end of my walk through the park, I had all 7 photos :)
I also challenged myself to use black and white, since I don't do that very much. Any B&W photography tips would be much appreciated!

1 big light-pole against the big, clear sky:

2 empty swings waiting for someone to play:


3 benches for watching the sunrise

4 rows of bleachers for watching the big game:

5 chubby baby toes:

A family of 6:

7 stepping stones:

4 comments:

  1. Katie, these are great! I'm so glad you didn't give up...I'll have to come back and comment when I have more time.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great concept here!

    I especially like "2", "3" and "4" - all places for sitting but serve different purposes. :)

    The chubby tows and geese are both so adorable! I like how the geese are going in various directions and the tall grass in the background is beautiful.

    Good spot on "1" and "7". There's a nice flow with these photos and a sunny park feeling despite the pics being in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie! I'm back to comment. You asked for a little advice on shooting black and white. I shot black and white so long that I'm usually drawn to lighting situations that would look better b/w then colour. One thing I notice right away is that it was a bright day and probably around mid day when you took these. I learned the hard way that when you shoot pictures with the sun way up high in the sky things look washed out and your images are either super contrasty or just really bland since everything is either the same black or the same grey. There are images that look good in such situations. For instance I think the swing set picture would not be as successful without the shadow placed where it was.

    Next time you shoot nature in B/W try doing it when the sun is either coming up or going down and then compare those images to these. You'll find that there are strengths and weaknesses to each situation, but if you can remember what each lighting situation has to offer you'll be able to use them to your benefit.

    I love concept behind these and that they all carry the same theme, nature, a walk...enjoying spring. You have some really strong compositions here, but I think that these images are missing a stronger sense of light...I know that sounds strange since it's obvious that the light is right above the subjects, but the lack of light lends a sort of lack of movement to these pictures.

    I think the stepping stones is my favorite!

    I'm glad you had an aha moment and were able to finish the set. the same thing happened to me. I saw these four strawberries tucked into a small white bowl while I was cleaning up dinner dishes. Unfortunately the strawberries weren't looking so good by morning, when the light was right. But they gave me the inspiration I needed.

    Great job this week! Keep challenge yourself, I can see how much it's making you grow!

    diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie- these are beautiful!
    I am SO glad you decided to take your camera with you on your walk- I love that all of these were taken along your way- even though there are several different types of subjects, they are all tied together so nicely.
    I actually really LOVE the one with the three benches- even though they are all placed very centrally in the photograph, it works- sometimes centered photos work well ;)
    I agree with Diana that you should try taking nature/outdoor photos with the sun lower in the sky- the lighting is MUCH more dramatic and therefore makes for more dramatic b/w photos. (You can probably tell from mine and Diana's blogs that both of us are more comfortable using b/w and are drawn to those types of lighting situations.)
    I also very much enjoy the stepping stones- beautiful movement going back through the picture-
    Great set!

    ReplyDelete