Friday, March 20, 2009

Photo Challenge

This week we were to take one (and only one) picture of ourself each day. No deleting. No tweaking. One chance to get it right. Needless to say, I didn't really get it 'right' every day. But here are my photos:

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday
Experimenting with different ways of taking a self-portrait
Thursday
(I have to admit, I got this idea from Emily's pictures of Ruthie and Josiah)
Friday: The chaos that is my life

5 comments:

  1. Great smile!

    For Monday's shot I really like all the little things I can sort of see in the background. I like that you're turning your head a bit away from the camera but we can still see your lovely blue eyes.

    Tuesday is really cute - it's quite the close-up but I can see people in the background which adds to a feeling of shared silliness.

    Wednesday - I like the red top.

    Thursday - looks like your baby is more in focus than you are - that could be saying something there...

    Friday - wow, did you clone yourself and add yourself to the background? cos it appears there is someone with the exact same pony tail and shirt as you! I guess it could be a mirror but leave it to me to think of cloning first :S Anyway, the side shot of you says more about you than just the face shots (i.e. body language, action, etc) we saw in the previous days and is a good way to close things up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monday: I like that I can see the reflection of the window in your glasses so that I know what you are looking at.

    Tuesday: I agree that I like that I can see the other people in the background. It makes me feel in with the silly.

    Wednesday: I really like the look on your face. It looks like you are holding up the camera and are really proud of it. I don't get the sense that you are using it to take that very picture. It just looks like you holding up a camera saying, "Hey! Look at this!"

    Thursday: Great capture of the baby looking right at the camera! LOVE!

    Friday: I think I would like it more if there were a bit more color in it, but i like that it's in front of the mirror and I'm figuring out the repeating of the monitors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favs are the first three. I think they would look nice as a set. They seem very cohesive in light and color. The composition is the strongest on the second one I think. It is my fav out of all three of them. I don't really know you, but i feel like this is showing your goofy side and I like it!!! Well done this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Katie!
    Sorry I'm getting to this so late:)
    I had to laugh when I saw these- you have a great, kinda goofy smile- it's awesome!
    Monday: I like that you are looking away from the camera, but I can still see great detail in your eyes- I love the colors, too- very vivid. Maybe would have liked to see this one more off-centered, but you only got one shot :)
    Tuesday: So I just looked at this one a lot closer- you took that one while we were there!! I can see chuck and Jonathan in the background. Again, I think this one would have been cool to see at a slightly different angle or cropped differently, but I like that you got your smile in there just enough to see... BTY- your eyes in this one TOTALLY look like Ruthie's!
    Wednesday: This one works really well straight on like you did because the red of your shirt and the angle your arms are at makes the photo more off-centered- looks like you weren't completely confident in how this one was going to turn out, but nice smile, anyway :)
    Thursday: I'm glad you used something I did and made it your own- it's great to work off of and experiment with what other people are doing! I would like to see you try this one again to get it more in focus- I love how you both are cropped in this one! (and Ruthie's actually looking at the camera!)
    Friday: Different than the others, but I like it- more editorial, tells the story of your life at home and working- love the mirror- makes the space seem a little more chaotic~
    ~em

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katie! Yikes! It's already Monday! Well Sam's down for his nap and Nick went to school to do some homework, I thought I'd take this chance to finish commenting on everyone's submissions. I think I have only you and Emily left.

    It was fun reading everyone's comments...I think they actually covered just about everything I would have said! But I'm going to challenge myself to present my critique in my own way!

    Katie, since I've never really seen many of the photos you've taken (before this), I'm never quite sure what I'll see when I come by the blog to see your challenge submissions. Your photos as a whole this week really gave me a sense that you and your camera are developing a young but strong relationship.

    Some of your photos seem a little as if you were unsure of what to do/ how to do it, and some of them appear to be taken with a lot of confidence. I think that's what I like about this challenge thing. It's really fun and inspiring to watch people grow every week!

    1.) Did you know you have your hair pulled back in every photo? (I think I did too!) I think this is the only photo where I wish your hair would have been down since I can't see your pony tail. This kind of shot is a good place to start with portrait taking. I'm continually surprised at all the things you can actually do by holding the camera out in front of yourself (as you did in the next photo).

    2.) This, and the last shot are my favorites. I love love love the fact that we can see people behind you. You may not have planned it that way, but it adds some context to the image. Nick and I actually sat at the computer last night trying to figure out who the two people were. We got Jon but didn't guess the other person was Chuck. I guess I don't know him well enough yet to recognize him out of focus.

    3.) I agree with whoever mentioned that your arms add a lot to this photo. Unfortunately I feel as if the flash is a little distracting since there are no other bright spots in this photo. That's the danger of using a flash in a mirror. (Your smile is really cut BTW)

    4.) Since all your other photos are so in focus this one sort of sticks out, but since we had only one photo a day I think this was a creative move for you! I'm sure after taking this one you know what you need to do differently (that's what I was hoping this challenge would accomplish, and I'm glad to see that it did make people think.) I really enjoy how this photo is cropped, that we can only see one of Ruthie's blue eyes and all of her cute lips, but that most of your face is in the shot.

    5.) Nick laughed when he saw all the post it notes on the computer. This one reminds me of Bekah's where she's at her computer with her yogurt and OJ. I agree with Em, I like the editorial quality of this photo and i'm glad you decided to take one like this. I just kind of wish there were more red accents in it. They add a sense of life to the image.

    You know, I didn't even notice the reflection of you in the mirror since I know that there's a mirror there! That's really funny that Bekah thought maybe it was a clone...just like here too!

    Great Job Katie!

    -diana

    ReplyDelete