I wanted to start a similar tradition with Ruthie this year. But all the ones I could find (granted, I didn't spend too much time looking) were Santa-themed and included candy. I wanted something that pointed to the real reason for Christmas--Christ's birth! And, in my opinion, children don't need any extra candy, especially around Christmas. So, with a little inspiration from various blogs, and some of my own creativity, I made an Advent Tree.
I cut out Christmas-y shapes (traced cookie cutters) from Christmas-themed scrapbook paper that fold together. On the white (boring) side, I glued numbers, 1-25 (which, conveniently, were included in the Christmas scrapbook paper set), and on the printed (fun) side, I put a bible passage or paraphrase of part of the Christmas story from Luke 2. Each day, Ruthie finds the number, we open it and read the passage. Then we hang it back on the tree, pretty side (and bible passage) showing.
Nothing too fancy, but she likes it (so does Levi :), and they fit pretty well on our little tree.
No comments:
Post a Comment